Can I use my RESPs for SIFC programs?

Southern Interior Flight Centre has been registered with Human Resources and Skills Development Canada since 1973 - HRSDC file 7009/1587. Depending on the requirements of your financial instituion, our various programs qualify for the use of RESPs, including the Private Pilot Licence.


Which category of medical do I need?

The prerequisites for each program are listed on the applicable program page. In general you do not require an aviation medical to start training, however we recommend you obtain one before you start. This rules out the possibility of the medical examiner finding an issue that would prevent you from being able to carry on in your training after you have already started. In general, the Recreational Pilot Permit and Private Pilot Licence require a Category 3 Aviation Medical Exam. The Commercial Pilot Licence requires a Category 1 Medical Exam.


Where can I get a medical?

A list of Transport Canada approved Aviation Medical Examiners can also be found by using the search engine at: Transport Canada - Civil Aviation Medical Examiners


What is the difference between a Private Pilot Licence and a Recreational Pilot Permit?

There is significantly less training in the Recreational Pilot Permit (RPP) than the Private Pilot Licence (PPL). This imposes major restrictions on holders of a Recreational Pilot Permit including: maximum number of seats in aircraft - 4, maximum of one passenger carried on board (even though you can have 4 seats), daylight flying only, flight within Canada only. In addition, some aircraft rental facilities, such as SIFC, will not rent to holders of the Recreational Pilot Permit. As the Recreational Pilot Permit is exactly that, only a Permit, holders are not able to add on ratings such as: Seaplane, Night or Instrument Flight Rules. If you are looking at owning your own aircraft, you may want to enquire with the insurance company to see if there are penalties for only holding the RPP as well.


What does the Commercial Pilot Licence allow me to fly?

The Commercial Licence is required before you can fly for hire or reward (pay). The basic Commercial Licence would allow you to fly a single engine aircraft during day or night, and VFR Over-The-Top for pay. The Multi Engine rating and Instrument rating are also required if you wish to fly larger aircraft under Instrument Flight Rules. We offer all ratings separately, or combined if you complete our Commercial Aviation Diploma Program.


Should I do the self-paced CPL or Commercial Aviation Diploma?

We explain the different benefits of the two programs HERE..


Does SIFC provide job placement or guarantees?

We do not guarantee employment. However, we have established a large network of graduates and program supporters across Canada who work with us to find jobs for suitable candidates. Most graduates who have the right work ethics and are willing to relocate will find entry level aviation jobs very quickly. Check out our PAC members and Testimonials pages.


How much will my course cost?

With the exception of the Commercial Diploma Program, the prices we quote are based on Transport Canada minimum training requirements. All training is skill based and students must demonstrate proficiency before being recommended for a flight or written test. Study habits, aptitude, dedication and following the advice of our experienced staff will all affect your abilitiy to meet the requirements in the minimum timeframes. The prices for the Commercial Diploma Program are an average, which is also affected by the number of 'build hours' the student needs to meet commercial requirements.


Do SIFC rental prices include fuel?

Yes. We don't have any hidden fuel or insurance surcharges - they are all included in our aircraft rental rates upfront.


Where do I find rental policies and procedures?

All of our rental policies and procedures are contained within our Flight Training Operations Manual.


When does ground school start?

Our Private and Commercial ground school classes run in a continuous loop. You may start during any day ground school is running, then continue through the whole program until you reach the point you started at.


What is the ground school schedule?

Private ground school runs every Tuesday evening from 7 pm to 9 pm. Commercial ground school runs every Monday and Tuesday evening from 6 pm to 8 pm. Call us to confirm times or to see if we are running any non-scheduled condensed programs.


How do I attend ground school if I don't live in Kelowna or have a rotating work schedule away from Kelowna?

Call us. We are offering compressed ground school classes at certain times to help with this issue.


Do I have to pay anything in advance?

Ground school fees are required as a single fee prior to commencing the ground school course. The cost of books, materials and all training are due upon receipt. You may pay for your flight and simulator training as you go, but you do need to have a valid credit card on file with us.


What types of funding exist for aviation programs at SIFC?

Check out our Funding page for more information.


What are the prerequisites for each program?

Prerequisites for each program are found on the Programs page or by clicking here.


How long is groundschool?

Private Pilot ground school is a minimum of 40 hours. Commercial Pilot ground school is at least 80 hours. There is no ground school requirement for the Recreational Pilot Permit.


How do I get a tour of the school?

Give us a call between 8:00 am and 4:30 pm seven days a week to arrange a tour of our facilities. Come out anytime to watch the aircraft, talk to our students, staff and experienced pilots who visit us daily.


What are the hours of operation and when can I get my flying in?

Our office hours are 8:00 am to 4:30 pm seven days a week, but we conduct flight training between the hours of 6:00 am and 11:00 pm seven days a week in order to fit your schedule.


What do I get to do on the Free Day?

Everything from auditing a class, to flying the simulator, to sitting in on a training session. Click here for our Free Day page.


How do I try flying to see if I like it?

Try starting with our Free Day at the school by clicking here. If you want to try flying first-hand, we offer a discounted Discovery flight which puts you at the controls of our aircraft for 30 minutes with one of our instructors.


I am terrified of heights. Should I bother to try flying?

Funny enough, some of the best pilots have a fear of heights. Many people with this phobia find it completely different when they are flying, especially when they are in control of the aircraft.


What is the difference between the Commercial Aviation Diploma program and self-paced commercial course?

The Commercial Aviation Diploma (CAD) program not only provides the basic Commercial License, but also the Multi-Engine Instrument Rating. Also included are approximately 200 additional aviation theory ground school hours aimed at preparing the student for the IATRA and ATPL exams. The CAD program also provides a Business based Diploma in conjunction with Okanagan College which allows students to obtain employment with major airlines around the world when they meet the particular flight time requirements. The basic self-paced Commercial program provides the minimum 80 hours of Commercial ground school and the training required to hold the basic Commercial licence. The Multi-Engine and Instrument Ratings must be added on individually. The self-paced course is a shorter program and is ideal for students who already have a diploma or degree in business or sciences that may be accepted by the airlines.


Do you provide other courses?

Our main programs are listed on our Programs page here. We always endeavor to provide the most up to date training to our customers. At SIFC we are also continually looking for additional training programs and opportunites to enhance safety and increase knowledge in the aviation community. Contact us if you have particular training needs or wish to be contacted for our weekend training seminars.


What are the experience levels of your staff?

At SIFC we strive to maintain an all-important balance of industry-experienced and new-to-industry staff. This ensures you receive 'real world' training from people who have faced the issues head-on, and also provides you with input and training from graduates who have just been through the same exams you are about to face.


How do I convert my foreign licence to a Canadian licence?

Procedures for converting an FAA license are provided here: FAA/TC Conversion
For conversion of licences from other countries, please contact Transport Canada directly, as each case has to be reviewed by them specifically to get a proper answer.


Do you supply accommodations or transportation?

Unfortunately we are unable to provide accommodations or transportation. Commercial Aviation Diploma sudents have access to the Okanagan College dorms. We do have useful tools to help you find local accommodations, and Kelowna City Transit services stop across the street from us. We will gladly pick you up from the airport when you arrive and deliver you to your destination if you have applied to one of our programs.


Can I train on my own aircraft?

Please consult the information on our web site HERE.


Which written exam services do you provide?

SIFC is an approved facility for Transport Canada written exams and the Restricted Operator Certificate With Aeronautical Qualification (ROC-A) for Industry Canada. A complete list can be found here on our Exams Page.

NOTE: For exams requiring a Letter of Recommendation, you MUST have this letter in hand before booking the appointment to write the exam.


What do I bring with me for admission to a Transport Canada written exam?

You must bring ALL of the following with you for the written exam:
- Valid Medical
- Valid Government Issued Photo ID (Driver's Licence or Passport or other official document bearing a photo AND signature of the candidate)
- Letter of Recommendation - proper format showing total ground school and flight times, dated and signed by recommending instructor within preceding 60 days (or less if restricted by the FTU or recommending instructor).  Please make sure your instructor includes the flight training unit code. Some exams do not require the Letter of Recommendation - ask your instructor if you require one.
- Pilot training record showing ground school and flight times (pages must be signed by instructor and student)
- Logbook
- The tools you would normally use: E6B or other approved Flight Computer, basic calculator (not scientific, and nothing made by Texas Instruments), Pencils, Pen, Flight Ruler and Protractor
- Fee is $175 +GST, payable with VISA, MC, AMEX, CASH, DEBIT.

To avoid being declined admission to the exam please make sure you bring all of the above with you and confirm that they are all valid.


- Food, drinks, hats, jackets, cell phones and anything else not required for the exam will not be permitted in the exam room

- Bathroom breaks are not permitted during the Exam

- The exam is done on the computer. See the FAQ link below to download the sample software onto your PC to make sure you are comfortable using the interface during the exam.

- Exam candidates who cancel an exam booking within 48 hrs, or no-show, will be required to pre-pay the full exam fee (non-refundable) for subsequent bookings.


Is the written exam on the computer or on paper?

Written exams for Transport Canada are done electronically. Please download and install the Sample CDE Exam software from the Transport Canada web site here. Your instructor should review the software with you prior to recommending you for an exam.


What do I bring with me for admission to a Restricted Operator Certificate With Aeronautical Qualification (ROC-A)?

You must bring these items:
- Pen AND Pencil
- Fee - $40 +GST, payable with VISA, MC, AMEX, CASH, DEBIT.
- Valid Identification (see below)

The following are acceptable forms of Identification:

- Valid Passport
- Birth Certificate with accompanying Valid Driver’s Licence
- Baptismal Certificate (Quebec issued only) with accompanying Valid Driver’s Licence
- Citizenship Certificate with accompanying Valid Driver’s Licence
- Permanent Residents Card with accompanying Valid Driver’s Licence


I have a pilot licence but haven't flown in a long time. What do I need to do to make my licence valid?

Recency requirements are found at the Transport Canada web site Here. We always suggest that you make sure your medical is valid first, then start the Transport Canada process.We often assist licence holders to regain their licence validity by performing the required Flight Review and providing access to the PSTAR written exam. Make sure you complete the questionnaire in the back of the Transport Canada Aviation Safety Letter as well each time it comes out.


Why does my Tuition and Education Receipt for my taxes not show all of my expenses for training?

Canada Revenue Agency allows Flight Schools to issue tuition and education receipts for flight training. There are limitations as to what is allowed to be claimed on the receipt. Only the minimum hours required to obtain the licence or rating are part of the calculations. Groundschool fees, ground-briefing instruction, some taxes, and simulator fees are also included. All other costs are not included in the calculations. Also of note the column for part-time or full-time credit is not filled in due to the fact that the programs don't require attendance for a minimum of 12 hours per week each month.
Flight Hours used for Calculation for each Licence or Rating:

  • Private Pilot Licence: 45 hrs
  • Commercial Pilot Licence: 65 hrs
  • Night Rating: 10 hrs
  • Multi-Engine Rating: no limit
  • Instrument Rating: no limit
  • Instructor Rating: 30 hrs

The above information is subject to change based on CRA regulations.


I don't have a pilot licence but have been around aircraft a lot with friends/family members who have licences. Will this help reduce costs with my training?

Unfortunately there is no way to predict the benefit, or hindrance, this will have until your training is well underway or even finished. While exposure to aircraft and flying is typically a good thing for general understanding, many untrained individuals can learn bad habits or incorrect procedures from people who have been flying for many years. Current training procedures and flight test standards have also changed significantly over the years. The average flight training time in Canada ranges from 55-60 hours and we have seen some people with preivous 'experience' finish with less hours and also some finish with many more hours as previous habits or incorrect knowledge have to be 'unlearned'.